Cola’s Casa: Surrounded by Puppy Love ~ Tara, Veterinary Nurse

A lot of people already know that pet sitting is a big part of my life. I came across this hobby of mine about two years ago. I was looking to make a little extra spending money but was not in the position to get a second job on top of working full time as a veterinary nurse. I tried everything from having yard sales that would bring in money but not be long lasting, to thinking of things I could make and sell (which did not work because I am not crafty in the slightest). 

One day, out of the blue, my sister sent me a link to an app made for pet sitters and helping them find clients. Once I investigated the logistics of the app, I was very interested in pursuing this option. Two years later, I have a strong list of clients, some of whom I have gotten to know and have become great friends with. 

I have welcomed a number of dogs (and even a couple of cats) into my home to stay with me while their owners go out of town, and I have also stayed at some client’s homes when I can as well. I named my little business “Cola’s Casa” after my dog, Cola, who is as much a host to these new visitors as I am. Along with learning each pet’s schedules and habits, Cola and I have learned much more from having this business.

I have learned how to manage my time better because of the pets that must go out or have medications at different times of the day. I have learned the proper way to introduce two dogs together in a different home environment. I’ve learned that no matter how a dog acts in its home environment, it will most likely act completely different in other environments, whether it is more nervous, excited, or even a little aggressive. It has also taught me about Cola and his little quirks with other dogs. 

I have said a number of times that I don’t know what I would do without pet sitting. This is true financially, but also true because it keeps me on my toes; I have met so many great pets and their people. I cannot imagine coming home and not having a house full of sweet pups (and the occasional kitty friend). 

Comments