Meet the "New" Doctor ~ Shana Silverstein, DVM

I joined Shiloh Animal Hospital this October, and I wanted my first blog to be a piece in which readers could get to know “the new doctor.” 



I was always attracted to a clinical career in veterinary medicine, starting in grade school. From an early age, I recognized that a strong clinician enjoys not only the intellectual challenge of medicine and surgery, but the interpersonal daily interactions that allow me to educate my clients on everything from preventative medicine to discussing options for diagnostics and treatment during times of illness.

I was raised in northern NJ, though you'd never know it since I have worked so hard to lose that accent! I attended Cornell University where I got a BS in Biology, and I remained there to complete my Doctor of Veterinary Medicine. While a veterinary student, I was a student housing supervisor as well a Big Sister and one of the original group of students to create and receive training for the Cornell Pet Loss Support Hotline.

I always had an interest in alternative medicine. My "senior seminar" case was a research project about a resuscitation acupuncture point. After practicing traditional medicine in Massachusetts and Arizona, I moved to NC and began practicing in the Triangle in 2008. It was then that I met Dr. Alley and was inspired by her integrative approach to veterinary medicine. It spoke to the balance of the strengths of traditional Western medicine while complimenting with Eastern medicine.

In 2012, I pursued veterinary acupuncture training at the Chi Institute. I also have a passion for behavior, dentistry, and preventative medicine. My daily goal is to empower owners to take part in their pets' care, from puppies and kittens to geriatrics.  I enjoy educating staff and clients alike, as well as preschool groups, scout troops, etc. Most of all, I love building long term relationships with my clients and their pets.

I have been blessed to be married to my husband, Tom, for 16 years. We have a son in 8th grade, a daughter in 5th grade, one rambunctious pittie, and two tolerant cats. There is also a tarantula in the house that I prefer not to think about. I enjoy singing in a local chorale and am active in my synagogue.

I am thrilled to be joining the Shiloh family and to be working with such a talented staff, and I look forward to meeting many of you in the months to come!

Comments