Why Shiloh Exists ~ Audra Alley, DVM, CVA, DABVP

After practicing medicine for fifteen years, what made me decide to “start all over again”?



I wanted to create something different. I wanted to create the kind of hospital that I would like to go to, and I wanted to create the kind of hospital that I would enjoy working in.

Luckily, I have an active imagination and can visualize exactly how I wanted things to feel for the patients. A floor that isn’t cold and that their feet won’t slip on, a bench where they can sit next to their owners, a cozy hideout in the exam room for the cats, a variety of treats for cats and dogs, and a minimal amount of loud sounds and strong smells.


But it’s also about the people – warm colors, comfortable surroundings, and a clean atmosphere. The goal is for everyone to be comfortable and to minimize stress so that we can fully assess what might be going on with the patient and then be able to have a conversation about options.


I like options. I feel like my mission is to help educate people about what might be wrong and then to provide the options that are available to address the issue. Being able make educated decisions will lead to the best care for our patients.

I also wanted to create a workplace that is consistent with the core values of the hospital. Honesty, empathy, curiosity, communication, accountability, teamwork, trust, and the golden rule are the guiding principles that help with decision making within the Shiloh team. We work hard to find team members who fit with our culture and who genuinely enjoy what they do and where they do it.

I wanted to have a cohesive team who could offer as many treatment modalities as possible to best suit our individual patients. Our three doctors have a combined thirty-six years of experience. Myself and Dr. Riddle are both certified veterinary acupuncturists, and Dr. Riddle is also a certified herbalist, practices massage techniques such as Tui Na, and will soon be providing food therapy. I recently obtained my canine/feline practice board certification, and I am currently training to be able to offer chiropractic care by December. Dr. Kleisch offers a welcome business perspective with his MBA in addition to his Western veterinary education. Together, we help each other to determine all possible treatment options and work together with our clients to provide the treatment or combination of treatments that we believe will provide an ideal quality of life for the patient.

Comments? Questions? Reply to this post below! We would love to have your input on any and all of our posts.


Comments

  1. Thank you for all that you do. I'm so happy to call Shiloh and Dr. Alley my fur family's medical and holistic team. There is nowhere better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for creating your vision!! I love your practice - the little things you thought of - like a bench big enough for me and my dog - I've never been to a vet that had that!!

    Unfortunately when my dog comes in, your quiet atmosphere is at risk (haha), but y'all take such good care of him. I followed Dr Riddle there and I love the herbal supplements she offers - I was at my wits end with my babies allergies before I found her.

    When Frannie was sick recently, Dr Riddle was out and Dr. Kleisch saw her and I felt immediately comfortable with him as well. Everyone there is wonderful and very accommodating! People ask me why I have a vet that is usually a 45 min drive each way (traffic!) and I say "because they take the best care of my best friend and I completely trust them" - which means everything to me!!

    - Heather Bohanan (Surfer Joe's Mom)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment